Friday, January 20, 2012

Pork loin is not photogenic

It kinda looks like a dead, boneless animal, doesn't it?  Oh, wait. It is. But a very delicious one.


There really are no words, but I sure do like to write captions!

Here's the recipe, for those of you brave enough to slow-cook. I've slow-cookered thrice, so I'm a pro now. (And by "pro," I mean The Chef helped/supervised every step of the way. We should all thank him. If you think I'm kidding, see Step 2, which I did on my own.)

Non-Photogenic but Most Delicious Slow-cooker Pork Loin
  • 1 boneless pork loin, 2-3 pounds
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 3/4 cup water
Glazey McGlazerson:
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  1. Get your in-home chef to wash pork, trim excess fat, pat dry.
  2. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then prick the meat all over with a fork or skewer. (NOTE: I forgot to poke and no one would have been the wiser if I hadn't just narced on myself.) (ANOTHER NOTE: I said "prick.")
  3. In a cup or bowl, combine the brown sugar, mustard, and vinegar. Rub all over the hunk of meat. (Best to put the gloves back on before you do that--no messy cleanup!)
  4. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours.
  5. After an hour of cooking, add water around the side of the meat--not right on it!
  6. About 1/2 hour before the pork is done, combine ingredients for glaze in a small sauce pan.
  7. Heat and stir until mixture thickens.Pour off the excess juices and reserve.
  8. Brush pork with glaze.
  9. Add reserved juices to glaze and reduce on stove to nappe* stage. (The mixture coats the back of the spoon.) This is your gravy. You will drink whatever's left. I guarantee it.

*Does using this term make me sound like I know what I'm doing?

1 comment: